Annual Chili Cook-off10-20-2012
TASTE THE EXPERIENCE
A tasting of top-secret homemade chili recipes by the best cooks in the country! New this year -- arts & crafts, kids activities, festival food vendors and a beer tent offering Bud Light, Michelob Ultra, Yuengling and Fat Tire. Great fun for all!
Admission Gates open at 11 a.m. Chili Tasting begins at noon.
11 AM -3 PM
Village Field (Corner of Old Hillsboro & Floyd Road)
4123 Old Hillsboro Road
Franklin, TN 37064
$1000 FIRST Prize for "Scratch" only
Over $2500 in awards
Want an application, email firstname.lastname@example.org
DOWNTOWN LEIPER’S FORK ASSOCIATION
2012 OFFICIAL COOK-OFF RULES
1. EACH COOKING TEAM ENTERED WILL BE LIMITED TO A MAXIMUM
OF THREE (3) PERSONS, AGED 19 YEARS OR OLDER. Members of the
cooking team will be allowed in free to the cook-off. Any extra persons (over 3)
associated with each team must pay the price of admission upon entry.
2. STRICTLY SCRATCH—All chili must be cooked on-site the day of the cook-off
if you have entered the “Strictly Scratch” Division; “scratch” being defined as
starting with raw meat. Regular commercial chili powder is permissible, but
complete commercial chili mixes are not permitted. Pre-cooked or canned beans
are permissible. All chili will be prepared out in the open for the “Strictly
Scratch” Division. No rice, pasta, hominy or fillers of any type will be accepted
for the “Strictly Scratch” Division. Thickeners such as corn meal, flour, etc., are
3. PEOPLE’S CHOICE—People’s Choice entries can either be cooked on-site or at
home, partially or fully. People’s Choice entries ONLY are permitted to use
commercial chili mixes and fillers for their chili. They will be judged in the
“People’s Choice” category only. “Strictly Scratch” Division entries are
automatically eligible for the “People’s Choice” Division and are considered
contenders for the People’s Choice Award.
4. ALL COOKING IS TO BE DONE IN A SANITARY MANNER. These
conditions are subject to inspection by the judging committee and/or members of
the Downtown Leiper’s Fork Association (DLFA) Board of Directors. Failure to
comply is subject to disqualification for that team. Upon disqualification, all
cooking ingredients and cooking utensils must be immediately removed from the
5. EACH TEAM WILL PROVIDE ALL INGREDIENTS, UTENSILS, AND
ACCESSORIES NECESSARY TO COOK THEIR CHILI. This includes water
for cooking, tables for food preparation and cook stoves and fuel. We do not
provide electrical power for cooking purposes. *
6. OFFICIAL LADLES AND CUPS WILL BE PROVIDED by the (DLFA) for
dispensing chili to the public for tasting for the “People’s Choice” competition.
Only these ladles and cups are allowed.
7. EACH CHILI MUST BE NAMED. *
8. FOR JUDGED (“STRICTLY SCRATCH”) COMPETITION, ONE SECRETLY
LABELED CUP WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE 7 A.M. COOKS MEETING.
Each team captain is responsible for his or her team’s cup. EACH HEAD COOK
WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR COOKING ONE (1) POT OF CHILI AND
TURNING IN ONE (1) JUDGING CUP FROM THAT POT. *
9. ALL COOKING MUST BE PERFORMED AT THE REAR OF THE BOOTHS.
This is a safety precaution in order to avoid the possibility of accidental
10. ALL GREASE FROM COOKING MUST BE DISPOSED OF PROPERLY. Do
not put grease directly into trash cans or into port-a-lets. *
11. COOKING TEAMS SHALL REMAIN INSIDE THEIR BOOTHS AND SERVE
CHILI TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL ALL THEIR CHILI HAS BEEN DISPENSED
AND THE COOK-OFF HAS OFFICIALLY CLOSED. *
12. NO MERCHANDISING OF ANY KIND BY CONTESTANTS WILL BE
13. EACH CHILI TEAM WILL COOK A MINIMUM OF 15 GALLONS OF CHILI;
however, the more the better! *
14. EACH SALSA TEAM WILL PREPARE A MINIMUM OF FOUR (4)
GALLONS OF SALSA; and provide chips for tasting the teams salsa.*
15. EACH “STRICTLY SCRATCH” AND “SALSA” TEAM IS EXPECTED TO
DISPENSE THEIR CHILI AND/OR SALSA TO THE PUBLIC AFTER THE
JUDGING SAMPLES HAVE BEEN COLLECTED.